Special Report: Fighting The New Coronavirus
Can the virus freeze to death at low temperatures? Will it disappear as the temperature rises? With the outbreak of the new coronavirus, there have been more and more questions about the virus and temperature.
These judgments lead to different conclusions no matter true or false, but they are widely circulating.
How resistant is the new coronavirus to temperature? Is it suitable for outdoor activities after the fine weather? Ma Ke, the deputy chief physician of the Department of Infectious Diseases of Tongji Hospital, answers these questions according to Zhejiang-based Jinhua Daily.
1. Is the new coronavirus more afraid of heat or cold?
Coronavirus is more sensitive to heat.
The virus is moderately stable in a suitable maintenance solution at 4 °C (39.2 °F) and can be stored for several years at -60 °C (-76 °F).
However, as the temperature increases, the virus's resistance decreases, but it must reach a certain temperature for a certain time to inactivate the virus.
2. Does the ambient temperature affect the infectivity of the virus? Is there a difference in transmission in different regions (such as Northeast and Hainan)? Will the infectivity of the virus decrease as the temperature rises?
It can survive in different body fluids and even the surface of the object at room temperature for 2-10 days. Temperature mainly affects the survival time of the virus and does not affect its infectious capacity.
Because coronaviruses can be transmitted through respiratory aerosols, inactivating the virus in various ways and adopting multifaceted protective measures can minimize the possibility of infection.
3. How much and how long does the high temperature have a killing effect on the virus? High-temperature environment disinfection? Does turning on air conditioning and heating work?
The virus is sensitive to heat and can effectively inactivate the virus when it reaches a temperature of 56 °C (132.8 °F) for 30 minutes. However, it is impossible to achieve the effect of inactivating the virus by raising the ambient temperature by heating with an air conditioner, and the effect of the virus cannot be achieved by heating the temperature.
4. In addition to fear of heat, what is the virus afraid of? (Disinfectant, ethanol, chlorine-containing disinfectant, etc., correct use)
In addition to killing the virus at high temperatures, lipid solvents such as ether, 75% ethanol, chlorine-containing disinfectants, peracetic acid, and chloroform can effectively inactivate the virus.
Air disinfection method:
1. Some people open the window twice a day for 30 minutes each time.
2. When there is an ultraviolet lamp, irradiate the ultraviolet lamp once a day in an unmanned room for more than 1 hour each time.
3. Disinfection method for the surface and ground of environmental objects: use 1000mg/L chlorine-containing disinfectant or peroxyacetic acid and hydrogen peroxide paper towels to wipe and disinfect thoroughly, twice a day.
First, the sun's irradiation temperature cannot reach 56 degrees, and the intensity of ultraviolet rays in sunlight can not reach the intensity of ultraviolet lamps.
Second, it needs a duration of 56 degrees and 30 minutes, and the ultraviolet lamp is irradiated for 60 minutes. The conditions must be met at the same time, which is difficult to achieve in the ordinary outside environment.